Kipper is a whole herring, a small, oily fish that has been split in butterfly fashion from tail to head along the dorsal ridge, gutted, salted or pickled, and cold-smoked over smouldering woodchips (typically oak). The grill heat shrinks the skin (best part of a kipper) and twists the whole fish into a complete mess
- 62 calories
- 7 grams of protein,
- 5 grams of fat
- No carbohydrate.
- 4 kippers
- 4 pats of butter, chilled to serve
- chopped parsley to garnish
- 1. Lay the kippers flat, skin side up, in the base of the grill pan. Do not place on a rack. Grill under moderate heat for 3 minutes.
- 2. Turn the kippers over, dot each one with 5 ml/1 tsp butter and grill for 3 minutes more.
- 3. Serve on individual warmed plates, topping each portion with a pat of chilled butter and a sprinkling of chopped parsley.